African violets are perhaps the most popular flowering houseplants grown in the world today. There are many reasons for this:
- The plants generally flower the year round, giving an almost continuous display of blooms.
- They require the same temperatures humans find comfortable, making them easy to raise in our homes.
- African violets do not require constant care and repotting, but they do thrive when given modest amounts of attention.
- New plants are easily raised from leaf cuttings, making them readily available to exchange with friends and neighbors.
- African violets are available in a wide range of colors, sizes and types, making them appealing to the eye and to the collector.
In short, few plants have so many positive characteristics for a successful partnership with humans; fewer still have enjoyed the African violet’s immense popularity and success.